Saturday, October 18, 2008

My season 2008 by Danial Afiq

Soccer Season 2008
(This aricle was contributed by Danial Afiq)
Three quarter of the season, we have been struggling to achieve titles but only managed to get champions for the West Zone Tournament and second placed for the national round. It was really hard for us.

Before this year starts, our boys, the secondary 2 boys had been training hard. During the last year’s December holidays, we had to come back to Hong Kah for training.
We had to build relationship and also teamwork, not to forget our fitness.

We went through a tournament called ISSAC tournament and achieved 3rd place. It was really hard for us.


We were not close and that good at that time. We rarely played with each other and now we had to do so to achieve titles. We had to fight against Australian School, Overseas Family School German School and also other schools of Singapore.

Our results were not good.

We had some wins, some draws and also losses. I was playing as centre-back, which is not my position but I was forced to. I played weirdly, partnering Hanis for the first few games.
After progressing through the tournament and achieve third, I felt that we had something to prove and I was very sure we can take on any team. As many people know, Hong Kah is well-known for Soccer.

Hong Kah had made the school proud by achieving titles and had been champions in West Zone tournament for many times.
Many schools had been targeting us. Hong Kah will always be pressured by this thought.
Every year, we had to defend our titles and make it to the national rounds where it is tougher. Days passed and Hong Kah had a good team, mixing with the new sec 1 boys. We had to welcome them and make them feel happy joining the club.

The 3 captains Jasvin, Hakimul and myself had to hold responsibility for the team. We had to motivate the team and take care of them.
I thought it was hard being a vice-captain but it was actually fun with the sec 1s.
We trained together on Tuesdays and Thursdays to build relationship.

Soon, it was March. Our West Zone Tournament came.

In this round, we played well after working together after 2 months plus. It was pretty easy for us in this round. The schools we were against were not that strong except for Jurongville Secondary School. We were undefeated in this round.

We won many games and emerge first in our grouping. We qualified for the semi-finals. We go against Regent Secondary in the semi-final and won 3 – 0. I felt happy as well as nervous.
We had to play against our rival Jurongville Secondary in the final. The finals came and I felt nervous at that time. There were some supporters and my parents were watching.

We were leading 2 – 0 when a heavy rain came down. We had to postpone the match. I was disappointed and scared.

I fear that we would lose the rematch.

The day came.
I felt nervous from the starting minute but we eventually won 2-1. I was relieved and delighted but also sad.
I think we could do better.

We were over-confident. We are finally champions.
Due to our winning, we went on an overseas trip to Medan, Indonesia during the holidays. Our coach, Mr Ng, had faith in us that we could be champions.
Therefore, we had to play against schools from other country to gain experience and learn how other country train their players. In Medan, we went against two strong, overaged and more experienced teams.

Hong Kah was thrashed by them. I was so disappointed.
I felt down.
We created chances but could not put the ball in. I defended badly at that time.

I could not play.

Mr Ng had high expectations on us and wants us to play at a higher standard as we had qualified for the national rounds.

National round was a much tougher game compared to the West Zone round. We had to go against good schools from Singapore that qualified for it. Many schools wanted to gun us down. After the loss in Medan, we had to believe in ourselves.July came, our national rounds were up. Our group stage was filled with some good schools. We won our first game against Bedokview 2 – 0 and from that we believed that we can win the championship.

I felt happy at that time but I knew that there were 6 more games to be played. We did not do well after the first game. We had some win and some losses.

We lost to Regent Sec, the team that we beat in the Zone semi-finals and also Sports School. I was so disappointed. Many had gave up hope.

I was very down.
We could have drawn against Sport School but did not. My partner Firdaus, a Sec 1 boy, and I did not play well. We lost concentration due to the referee and therefore we let in 2 goals.

I regretted.

We realised that we still have chance to qualify for the semi-final if we win against FuChun secondary for our last game. We were leading 1 – 0 in the first half against FuChun. I switched off after we scored and we let in 1 goal.

I was sorry.

The second half was better.
I played well and I concentrated.
Finally, we won by 2 – 1.

I was delighted.

All of us were very happy.
I did not expect to go into the semi-finals.
It had been my dream
By then, we had to train more as we had to go against Greenview Secondary, last year’s national champion.
Greenview was one of the best schools for Soccer too.
During the semi-final, at one look at them, they were fully prepared and want to beat us.
I feared.
I was the game captain at that match and I knew we had to win.
I had to motivate the team to win and maintain the team behaviour.
Minutes passed.
We were leading 1 – 0.
But soon after, we let in a goal again.
I was down again.
We played 60 minutes and still could not put a goal in.
We went to penalties.
Out of 5 shots, we missed one on our second attempt.
I was feeling sad and wanted to cry.
I felt that my hope was gone but eventually, our goalkeeper Hasbullah saved their last 2 penalties and we were off to the finals.
All of us were overjoyed that the “burger”, our goalkeeper, made the two great saves.
We finally made it to the finals but had to go against the many time champions, Singapore Sports School.
We played at Jalan Besar Stadium and Sec 1 and 2s had to come and support us.
We played on Friday (22 August 2008).
Before going there, we had to believe that we can win.
Many of the students had motivated us and we were thankful.
Our principal and the students were counting on us to bring glory back.

When we reached there, I was so happy.
I could not wait to start the match.
Soon, all the supporters came.
I felt more nervous and ashamed.
I fear that I would make mistakes and disappoint them.
After warming up, we went to start the match.
From the starting whistle, the supporters were cheering for us expecting something.
After a few minutes, our captain Jasvin put a goal in and gave our team the lead.
I was so happy.
The supporters were shouting and screaming.
However, Sports School had conned a penalty and it was given by the referee.
It was a bad call.
It was not a penalty.
I was furious with the referee.
Soon, it was 1 – 1.
We struggled through the game but could not find the next goal.
We had chances but did not put them away.
The game went into extra time.
The supporters were still cheering, not giving up hope.
Unfortunately, we lost.
Sports School put a goal in.
We were shocked.
They scored the same way they scored against us in the group stage.
All of us were quiet.
The whistle went off.
We lost. I was sad.
I felt sorry that I had let our school down.
We could not do anything but to accept the fact.
I was totally shocked but I was proud of myself.
I knew I played well and many told me that did well.
Till now, when sometimes I look at Jalan Besar Stdium, I would not forget that final.
It was one of my best match I ever had.

No comments: