Friday, October 17, 2008

My season 2008 by Ammirul Emmran

Soccer Season 2008
(This article was contributed by Ammirul Emmran)

Penalty number 6 was dispatched with minimal fuss.
A calm head on the young shoulder of player no. 10 Ammirul.

(Ammirul with his medal)

Firstly, I want to start off with my first West-Zone appearance. I felt very nervous because it was the first time i was playing with my Sec 2 teammates.
On the first appearance, I usually play as a centre midfielder. However, my first appearance for Hong Kah Secondary School, I was played as a striker.

It was not comfortable for me as I had never played as a striker in my life. During my first appearance for Hong Kah Secondary School, I scored my debut goal.

(Ammirul looking to supply the through pass)

I am very happy and proud of myself. After the game, we managed to clinch the 3 points by beating our opponent. We were all very happy winning the first game in the West Zone tournament.

After the celebration and excitement, our coach Mr Ng pointed out our mistakes we made during the game. All of us realised our mistakes during the game.


The West Zone matches were always played on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was quite tiring for us to play two games within the same week. However, we are managing it fine.

(Ammirul supporting Danial from behind)

After all the matches in the West Zone were played, our team remained unbeaten. We were very happy with our achievement at this point. We were considered a tough team to play against.
We managed to beat other schools with many goals.

After the group stages, we managed to get into the Zone semi-final. We were very happy to be in the semi-final. I did not start for the semi-final.

Maybe, it was because I did not perform well for the previous games. However, I did play in the second half.

(Ammirul asking Faiq for the ball)

I try to help to keep the team shape well and control the midfield area. But when the referee blows the final whistle, we were all celebrating and jumping around. After that, we shake hands with our opponents.

We try to show our sportsmanship.


I felt very happy for myself for getting into the West Zone final. Before the West Zone final, we got a week left to train. We are all ready to face any team.

(Take that ! Another through ball coming from Ammirul)

On that day of the West Zone final, some of us felt the pressure because of the crowd cheering. But we remained composed.


During the West Zone final, I did not get to start as first eleven.
I was on the bench.

But in the second half, with about twenty more minutes to the final whistle,
I was ask to replace Zul. I assisted in the winning goal.
I was quite happy with myself although I did not score.

(Crunching tackle from Ammirul. I'm sure he got the ball.)

When the referee blows the final whistle, we were all shouting and celebrating among ourselves.

We were all very happy.

Our coach Mr Ng was also very happy with our performance.

After that, we shook hands with our opponent Jurongville Secondary School. We beat them 2 - 1. But our journey does not end here. We still got the National round to go through.

(Ammirul laying the ball for Faiq in the next attack)

In the National round, we were in the Champions League. It should be tough for us because in each different zone, such as North, South, East and West, only the top 4 teams qualified for the Champions League.

In the first match of the Nationals, we were against Bedokview Secondary School. I did not play as the starting eleven and sat on the bench. After the game, we won 2-0.
We were all satisfied with our performance.


(Ammirul working the ball to the right flank)

It was a good team to face in the first Nationals game. I remembered in the second or third match, my team mate Fendy injured his right hand. I was on the bench and my coach Mr Ng asked me to warm up. After I've warmed up, I replaced Fendy. After the next game I continued to play as a starting eleven because I think I impressed and played quite well in the previous game.

I was very happy that I keep on playing first eleven. My position, which is centre midfield is a very tough position to play because there are many good players who played in the same position as I do.

(Hydration time. Lost alot of water through non-stop running)

After all the matches we played in the National’s round, we managed to get into the semi-final. We all were very happy of ourselves though. In the National’s semi-final, we had to face Greenview Secondary school. This school is a very tough team to face because this school was last year National’s Champions.


But we showed no fear.


We have our own confidence that we will win. On the game, I played the first eleven. I was very happy though.


On that game, the full-time score is 1-1. So it is going to be an extra time.

But still the score remains the same. So it will be going to the penalty-kicks. I was the 6th kicker.
I scored the penalty though. I was relief because the pressure of me is over.

But we won the penalty-kicks.
We all are jumping around and cheering around among ourselves.

(Ammirul shadowing Faiq)

Thanks to our great goalkeeper. He saved quite a lot of penalty-kicks.
So we are going to the National’s final.

(Just won the ball, looking for quick options)

We have two more weeks before the National’s final starts.
The team we are going to face in the final is the Singapore Sports School.

Some of us feel very nervous because of the crowd cheering and all.
All the seats are were covered by our own school and Singapore Sports School.

(Ammirul on the offence, asking Hakimul for the through pass)
The stadium was packed.
Both sides are cheering for their own school to win.

And the match has started.
The full-time whistle was 1-1.
So it will be going to extra-time.

(Just won another tackle, looking for another through pass)


It was around 2 minutes left until we are going to the penalty-kicks.
Suddenly, they scored.

Ammirul displaying his all round talent.
He contributed to defence by blocking the Sports School pass


We all try to fight back but it is too late for us.
We lost the game.
The Singapore Sports School beat us 2-1.

(Won the tackle again, looking up to make a through pass)

But it is ok.
At least we showed ourself 100%.

(No options, but he kept the ball well)

Some of us cried.
But we tried to cheer them up.

(Teaming up with Khidri for a 2 V 1 defence against Sports School)
We are still happy of ourselves though.
Although we lost the game, and also a good experience for us.
(The End) (Ammirul at the Changi Airport with Noriddhzuan)

(Ammirul posing in the tour bus at Medan)

(Ammirul leaving the tour bus and getting ready for friendly game at Medan)

No comments: